I thought you all would enjoy this super easy old family recipe for lemon bread. The actual prep time for the bread is only around 10 minutes but would probably be much faster for those who are, unlike myself, less domestically challenged.
+ 1/2 cup soft butter
+ 1 cup white sugar
+ 2 eggs
+ 1 1/2 cups white flour
+ 1 tsp baking powder
+ zested rind of one lemon
+ 1/2 cup milk
+ 1/2 cup sugar
+ 3 tbsp lemon juice (you can squeeze the juice from the lemon you zested)
to get started...
1. mix butter, sugar, & eggs in a medium to large size mixing bowl.
2. mix white flour and baking powder, then add to the other mixture.
3. add the lemon zest and the milk.
4. mix together well, then pour into standard size loaf pan (these are usually 8x4 or 9x5).
5. bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes then reduce heat and bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees. Test to see if it's done by inserting a knife or cake tester. Tester is clean = ready to come out!
while the cake is baking (topping)...
6. on stove add the sugar and lemon juice, put on the lowest temperature for half an hour.
once the loaf is baked...
7. pour the topping over the bread
8. let cool for 30 minutes and then...
* can be served warm with a little butter or without (your preference)
* lemons can be substituted for oranges in this recipe.